About the Project
The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) is in the early stages of the 85-385 GATEWAY project:
SCDOT, and its contractor Flatiron-Zachry, have begun construction activities on the 85/385 Gateway Project. This project will transform the intersection of Interstates 85 and 385 in Greenville County.
85-385 GATEWAY is utilizing a design-build contract which will require Flatiron-Zachry to design, obtain permits, acquire right-of-way, coordinate utility relocation, and construct the new interchange; all under the oversight of SCDOT and FHWA. This type of contracting can save time and money by encouraging innovative designs, materials, and construction practices. The Project's scope involves creating a new interchange within the general footprint of the current interchange by staging construction of the new lanes, ramps, and bridges while maintaining traffic. The widening of I-385 will continue through the Project limits. There will also be improvements to Roper Mountain Road, Woodruff Road, Garlington Road, Miller Road, and Chrome Drive under this contract. Finally, construction of ten new bridge structures which include two flyovers, rehabilitation of two existing bridge structures, and modifications to the substructure of one existing bridge will occur to facilitate this new interchange system. The work being performed on these roads and bridges will help alleviate traffic congestion throughout this entire corridor. Construction began in February of 2016 and will continue until 2020.
85-385 GATEWAY will improve safety for the traveling public, provide a financial boost to the local economy, and increase the capacity of this interchange so it may function more efficiently for many years to come. This work is expected to be a premiere engineering achievement resulting in a signature infrastructure project that will make a positive difference to all of those who travel the Upstate.
- Utility relocations continue across the project limits as necessary to accommodate the proposed roadway/interchange improvement
- Roadway widening operations will commence on the outside shoulders of the existing roadways of I-385 south of Woodruff Road towards Butler Road
- Barrier wall placement and clearing and grubbing operations will continue along mainline I-85 and I-385
- Bridge construction will commence at the intersection of I-85 and I-385 as well as near Woodruff Road adjacent to the entrance ramp to Northbound I-385
- Concrete pipe installation will commence throughout the project to accommodate storm drainage
- Rehabilitation of sections of northbound Interstate 85 between Mauldin Road (mile marker 47) and the GSP Airport Exit (mile marker 57) will continue this summer
385/85 Project plan overview of construction area including proposed design solution.
Lane Closure Information:
Mon-Fri 8PM to 6AM
Sat 7pm - 9am
Sun 8pm - 11am
Mon-Fri 7PM to 7AM
Sat 6PM to 11AM
Mon-Fri 10PM to 7AM
Roper Mountain Rd.
(Woodruff to Indepen)
Mon-Fri 9PM to 6AM
Roper Mountain Rd.
(Indepen to Garlington)
Mon-Fri 9AM to 4PM and 6PM to 7AM